Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Is Jesus sometimes hesitant to reveal who He really is?

Reflecting on the first miracle of Christ – the turning of water into wine (John 2:1-11) – I got hooked with Jesus’ hesitancy on proving His deity and glory to the people around him at once. During that wedding when the master had run out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to him “they have no more wine,” but Jesus’ statement “Why do you involve me, my time has not yet come” appeared to be antithetical at first. But the Lord had its course to involve in that shortage of wine. And in His directives, the servants obeyed Him, and the water turned into wine, His glory manifested, His sovereignty ruled, His power exemplified.

I know there are other truths and insights that we can absorb from this passage. And I’ll let you discover that on your own, for the Word of the Lord speaks afresh in unique ways, individually.

Sometimes, people sense the Lord is not concerned with our affairs, with our problems, with our frustrations. We even set aside Him at the closet when all things are turning well, but when things get worse we begin to search Him and ask His help. How can we expect Him to involve in our affairs, when we ourselves isolate Him from the core? Could we expect God to lend a helping hand, when both our hands are holding something (or someone) else? To make it more personal, could I expect God to grant my request when I do the things that upset Him? But despite my inconsistencies, the Lord surprises me always, proving time and again that he is gracious and never disowns His faithfulness.

I never searched God actually; He found me, and to be found by Him is my forever gratitude. The Lord can actually save and bring us instantly to the perfect relationship human had enjoyed before. But man rebelled against Him, persistently choosing his own way, and thus sin enters the humanity, making us all polluted, corrupted, and condemned. Yet, the Lord never forsakes us. He gave Christ, His only begotten Son, for our redemption, and those who believe in Him will not perish but have everlasting life. He did His part, and He is just waiting for us, for you, to come to Him.

When it seems the Lord is hesitant to reveal himself to you, trust Him more, his hands, his heart. Maybe He is not the one who is hesitant, but you. Just come to Him, and He will accept you. I guarantee you :)

No comments: