Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Delayed Contemplation

“I don’t consider my boarding house as my mission field.” This premature statement I uttered in one Bible study is contradictory of what the Bible is saying about becoming salt and light of the world. I said that out of sincerity since I really don’t make efforts to reach out to my boardmates for I don’t spend considerable time in my boarding house. They just see me on evenings most of the times.

I forgot that it’s not only the time spent or the efforts exerted where I can minister to them. I was once a college student and I believe I could minister to them in other special ways. My life itself is testimony, a living epistle that can either put down or bring praise to the name I bear. They can either see Christ in me, or his extreme opposite.

Whenever they have their drinking spree, which I used to indulge before, I am always at the refusal point. I welcome their offers but I never accept it, so far. Yes, sometimes, I want to join them, my flesh warring with my spirit, but I thought one mistake can lead to another one, and I don’t want to put in disgrace the name I bear. I have to be firm with my conviction; I know they might think of me as indifferent, but I am not accountable to them. It’s the Lord I please.

The Lord puts me where I can grow and minister to people around me. My mission field is wherever the Lord leads me. If it seems the field is ominously dark, the light in me, how minute it may be, can still diffuse its sparkle. Oh the sparkle, lately we’re talking about the “sparks” of being a servant-leader of Christ, and yes, it hurts when people around us, especially the lost one, cannot see any “sparkle” in us. But this should serve as a challenge to all light bearers to keep their light shine and their fire aflame.

Sincerity in my utterance is immaterial if it’s not truth-driven. This delayed contemplation is better than never. :)

No comments: