Monday, February 21, 2011

Long Life

I received a lot of text messages greeting me a happy valentines. But a text from my immediate superior caught my attention. “Text me if gising ka na, tawagan kita,” the SMS says. And I did text her, and she called me up. She told me that she dreamed of me to be dead. I was then covering an event when suddenly I collapsed, and my cameraman reported the incident. As she was telling her nightmare about me, she gave superstitious and traditional advices to counter the awful dream. I just listened, thanked her for calling me up, while over the phone, I was smiling, at the same time, realizing the possible meaning and interpretation of the dream.

Actually, that was the second time that somebody dreamt of me lifeless. My sister initially dreamed of me to be dead as well. I was a bit bothered with the successive dreams about me being dead. Well, some say it’s the other way around, that it would mean long life. Oh thank God if that is so. But I thought there would be no proper attitude or reaction better than praying and realizing that indeed life is short. Too short to waste it preposterously, too short to miss God’s blessing.

I prayed. I informed some of my friends about the dreams, and received their comforting and encouraging words. Some rebuked it, some said it’s really the other way around; others commit to pray for me continually.

Death - the end of life, and the beginning of life, as well. As a Christian, my fear of death was no longer hunting me. I become secured in the hands of Jesus. “For it is by grace you have been saved through faith – and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – no by works, so that no can boast.” (Eph. 2:8-9) This security roots in the very heart of the Lord through His love, grace and mercy for all the sinners, including me. Not a single or a thousand goodwill could ever be credited to my salvation, but only through Jesus.

Nightmares about my death in the month of heart won’t follow me all the days of my life. It’s just a distraction from the devil. As long as the Lord is my shepherd, the words in Psalm 23:6 will remain true: “Surely, goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” †

2 comments:

Jade Cabrera said...

Our life here on earth is just temporary and we can live here to the fullest as much as we like but we must think of the consequences of what are we doing... that is what I realized after my mom's cousin brought me to a Christian Church in Makati... I wasn't a Christian before and I'm not paying any attention to my actions and I just go with what I am doing... Without God, we are nothing... putting Jesus Christ as the center of our lives is the biggest success in our lives and no matter what problems that may come in our way, we can conquer it... =)

Alfie said...

very well said. Thanks for your comment:) GBU too